Tuesday, October 6, 2015

Survival Rates Cancer Type


When some average mope at a party learns that I blog about brain tumors, I get questions, a lot of particularly morbid questions like:
  • “How bad is brain cancer compared to other cancers?”
  • “How long does ______(our friend)  have to live?”
  • “What’s the worst cancer to have?”
I rarely know how to answer these questions because it’s hard to think of a brain tumor or cancer that isn’t bad and I know almost nothing about the victim's situation.

I just found the Cancer Research UK website, though, which is helpful in providing information on how to compare the different cancers.  The average survival rates give everybody – victims, caregivers, friends & family – have some vague idea of what to expect (although, as with most everything in life, your survival rate may differ).

If you go to this website, poke around a bit, there’s a lot of good information.

Here’s a link: http://www.cancerresearchuk.org/health-professional/cancer-statistics/survival/common-cancers-compared#heading-Zero


John


PS - I find this whole business of comparing cancers and deciding whose friend/relative/significant other has the worse cancer to be particularly idiotic.  Here’s my excerpt from my book, “Chief Complaint, Brain Tumor” - http://www.chief-complaint.com/ - about such inane conversations:

“The phrase “brain tumor” is scary and difficult to slide into any casual,
over-the-fence-with-the-neighbor conversation. I imagined the following
conversation when running into a friend at Starbuck’s:
“Hey Fred, how’s it going?”
“Great! Our daughter Mary just made the high school jazz band as the
bass player, the only student to ever be picked as a sophomore.”
“Congratulations!”
“And you, how’s it going?”
“Well, I’ve just been diagnosed with a brain tumor—the tumor’s as big
as your wife’s fist.”
“No shit. Well…how about them Bears?”

And with your more competitive acquaintances, I could imagine the
following conversation with Ashton:

“John, how are you? It’s good to see you.”
“I’ve just been diagnosed as having a brain tumor.”
“Really, what kind?”
“It’s a Grade I meningioma. It’s about as big as your fist.”
“Well, my brother Dave has a Grade III metastatic brain tumor. It’s a
Gliomas type of brain tumor. We’re very worried about it infiltrating adjacent
brain tissue. You should be grateful that you only have a Grade I meningioma!”


2 comments:

Lemuel said...

Fantastic do the job you’ve got completed, this page is really great with amazing facts. Time is technique for trying to keep everything from going on directly
essay writing service reviews

John's Brain said...

Thanks!