Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Brain Tumors and U.S.A. Social Security Disability Benefits


This is a guest posting from Molly Clarke who writes for the U.S.A. Social Security Disability Help blog. 

John

Brain Tumors and Social Security Disability Benefits
A brain tumor, like any serious medical condition, can severely impact a person’s life. Because brain tumors vary in size, shape, and location, people with brain tumors can be affected in very different ways. Individuals with benign brain tumors may find that they can continue to live as they always have, with little interference. Unfortunately, more serious or malignant brain tumors can stop people in their tracks and force them to put their lives on hold while they seek medical treatment.

Patients who cannot work due to the effects of a brain tumor may find that the resulting loss of income and lack of medical insurance cause a significant financial burden. If you or a loved one is facing these circumstances, you may qualify for assistance in the form of Social Security Disability (SSD) benefits. The following article will provide you with a general overview of the SSD program and will prepare you to begin the application process.

What is a Disability?
To qualify for SSD benefits, all applicants must first meet the Social Security Administration’s (SSA) definition of disabled. This includes meeting the following criteria:

·         Your condition prevents you from performing the job that you typically do.
·         Your condition prevents you from adjusting to a different job.
·         Your condition has lasted or is expected to last at least one year or result in death.

If you do not meet these basic requirements, you will not be approved for disability benefits. If you do meet these requirements, you will also have to meet additional technical and medical eligibility requirements.

Social Security Disability Technical Eligibility Requirements
The SSA governs two separate programs that offer SSD benefits—SSDI and SSI. As previously mentioned, all applicants must meet certain technical requirements to qualify for disability benefits. These technical requirements will depend on which disability program you apply for.

·         SSDI stands for Social Security Disability Insurance. This program is funded by the FICA taxes that are deducted from most workers’ paychecks. Eligibility for SSDI is based on an applicant’s work history. The SSA assigns “work credits” to each quarter that an individual works and pays taxes. To qualify for SSDI, the SSA requires a certain amount of work credits. Learn more about work credits and qualifying for SSDI, here: http://www.disability-benefits-help.org/ssdi/qualify-for-ssdi.
·         SSI stands for Supplemental Security Income. SSI is different from SSDI in that it does not require work credits to qualify. Instead, SSI is a needs-based program, meaning that eligibility is determined by strict financial limitations. SSI is often a good fit for disabled children or adults with little income who do not meet the work credit requirements to qualify for SSDI. Learn more about qualifying for SSI, here: http://www.disability-benefits-help.org/ssi/qualify-for-ssi.

It is important to note that SSI and SSDI are not health insurance programs. After a two year waiting period, SSDI recipients become eligible for Medicare and SSI recipients automatically qualify for Medicaid. In some cases, an applicant may be eligible to receive both SSI and SSDI.

Social Security Administration’s Blue Book
In addition to meeting these technical criteria, applicants must also meet certain medical criteria. To determine the severity of an applicant’s condition, the SSA consults their guidebook of disabling conditions commonly referred to as the blue book.

Although, benign brain tumors are listed under section 11.05 of the blue book, this section states that benign brain tumors are to be evaluated under listings of epilepsy, stroke, or other affected body systems. This is because, depending on their size and location, benign brain tumors can affect each person differently. It is important that you meet with your doctor to discuss how your brain tumor affects you and which blue book listing best covers your impairments.

Malignant brain tumors are evaluated under section 13.13 of the SSA’s blue book. This section states that, in order to qualify for SSD benefits, applicants with malignant brain tumors must meet the following criteria:

·         The brain tumor must be classified as grade II or higher under the World Health Organization classification of tumors of the central nervous system.
·         The tumor is progressive or recurrent even after receiving appropriate treatment.
·         The brain tumor has spread or metastasized to other areas of the body.

The requirements listed above have been summarized from the blue book listing. There are more specific requirements based on the type of tumor you have. These can be found on the SSA’s website.

More serious and life threatening brain tumors may qualify an individual for processing under the Compassionate Allowances (CAL) program. The CAL program allows individuals with particularly severe disabilities to be approved for SSD in as little as ten days. Please note that you do not have to fill out additional paperwork to receive CAL processing. The SSA will evaluate your application and if you qualify, they will expedite your claim accordingly.

Social Security Disability Application Process
It is vital that you go into the application process prepared with the necessary records and documentation. These records include thorough medical documentation of your brain tumor—records of your diagnosis, medical test results, hospitalizations, treatments, and personal notes from your doctor. You should also be prepared to provide records of your work history and financial standing.

Once you decide to begin the application process, you can do so online at the SSA’s website or in person at your local Social Security office.  It is important that you realize how long and stressful the SSD application process may be. In fact, many initial applications are denied. If you yours is denied, do not panic. You have the right to appeal the SSA’s decision.

Remember, SSD benefits exist to help you. It is important to be persistent. Although it may not be easy to get approved, it will be worth the hassle once you can focus on your health rather than your financial distress.

Image credit: <a href='http://www.123rf.com/photo_14055027_social-security-claim-approved-stamp-showing-social-unemployment-benefit-agreed.html'>stuartphoto / 123RF Stock Photo</a>

13 comments:

Erminia Cavins said...

Reality bites! There are actually lots of people who are trying to claim their SSD. However, due to tons of processes, requirements, and applications, many have been denied. This is why it’s very important to ask someone who has had experience in filing a claim, and has had them approved. Asking attorneys and lawyers are the right thing to do. Some even give free consultations, which is a big factor!

John's Brain said...

Great advice!

John

Unknown said...

You may not secure an approval immediately, but I think you’ll have a better chance in winning your case if you have an SSDI, SSI or VA expert to back you up. There are complexities in getting an approval, probably because of the issue of mental and physical pain could be rather subjective. That being said, the best thing to do is gather a strong documentation that proves your eligibility, and have a law expert by your side to help you win your claim. Thank you for sharing this with us!

Brad Post @ Jan Dils

Unknown said...

Applying for an SSD can be both challenging and take a long time to process. That’s why it’s really important to have a keen understanding regarding this matter, and know other options that will best fit your needs. And speaking of which, one could also apply for LTD from private carriers, because you could gain more compensation from them. Just take a look and evaluate the policies you think would best suit your standards.

Patricia Briggs @ Source Brokerage

ashley said...

IT IS REAL!!! HOW I COMPLETELY GOT RID OF 4 YEARS GENITAL HERPES WITHIN 7 DAYS... GOD IS AWESOME,I AM A LIVING TESTIMONY!!!!....

I have been dating for almost 7 years until i contracted GENITAL HERPES VIRUS from my Ex-boyfriend. Ever since then i have been searching for cure everywhere because i was feeling so uncomfortable having so many outbreaks, Most people have herpes in one form or another, i was first taking Antiviral medicines such as acyclovir (Zovirax), famciclovir (Famvir), and valacyclovir (Valtrex), which are recommended for treating primary genital herpes outbreaks..But i needed to get rid of it completely, I came across so many testimonies online speaking about cure to herpes. i was so eager to be completely cured, I became a victim of fraud after contacting several so-called herbal doctors i was referred to. I lost a lot of money but i didn't stop searching for a cure.
Then one faithful day,i came across a testimony of a lady saying that she got her Genital herpes cured by a GREAT HERBAL DOCTOR she called Dr. Aramide by contacting him through his email address. And she advised anyone with GENITAL HERPES or SIMPLEX HERPES to contact him for HERBAL CURE. I contemplated for about 4 hours whether or not to contact him. Then something inside of me told me to give a try. I then contacted him through his email and told my problems to him. He told me all the things I needed to do and also gave me instructions to follow, Which i did properly. Just within the 7 days of drinking and applying the herbal medication he sent to me through DHL delivery service, I started feeling changes in my body i went to my medical doctor for check-up, I was so happy when he told me i was no more having GENITAL HERPES VIRUS and that i was free, It was all tears of Joy from that moment, I never thought ROOTS & HERBS could cure HERPES and if i could ever meet a GENUINELY GREAT HERBAL DOCTOR. I'm so grateful to him. i am completely free from GENITAL HERPES VIRUS,i recommended him to a family friend having Simplex Herpes virus, He called me and told me he is also cured completely. I promised to share my own testimony like that of the lady on the internet. If you are also having
*GENITAL & SIMPLEX HERPES... or need cure to diseases/viruses like..
*PREDIABETES/DIABETES/DIABETES MELLITUS...
*MENINGITIS...
*MERS-CoV...
*HIV...
*LEISHMANIASIS...
*LOW SPERM COUNT...
*SHIGELLA INFECTION...
*SYPHILLIS
*CANCER...
*LOWER RESPIRATORY INFECTION...
*STAPHYLOCOCCUS AUREUS...
*HEPATITIS...
*SHINGLES...
*YELLOW FEVER...
*POLIO...
*LUPUS...
*STROKE...
*FIBROID...
*EPILEPSY...
*TUBERCULOSIS...
*LEUKAEMIA...
*SICKLE CELL...
*ASTHMA.. Etc..
Without Hesitation Contact him Today for a testimony through his Email _ dr.aramideherbalcure@gmail.com
*GOD IS TRULY FAITHFUL*

Unknown said...

I’m here to testify about what DR. IYOHA did for me. I have been suffering from (GENITAL HERPES VIRUS) disease for the past 7 years and had constant pain and inching, especially in my private part. During the first year, I had faith in God that i would be cured someday.This disease started circulating all over my body and I have been taking treatment from my doctor, I was browsing on the internet for solution and i came across a testimony of Sean Anthony on the internet testifying about a Man called DR. IYOHA on how he cured her from 7 years HSV 2. And he also gave the email address of this man, advise anybody to contact him for help on any kind of diseases that he would be of help, so I emailed him telling him about my (HSV 2) he told me not to worry that I was going to be cured!! Well, I never doubted him I have faith he can cure me too,, DR. IYOHA prepared his powerful medicine which I took. In the first one week, I started experiencing changes all over me, after two weeks of using his Roots/ Herbs medicine, Oil and Soap, I was totally cured. no more inching , pain on me anymore as DR. IYOHA assured me. After some time I went to my doctor to do another test behold the result came out negative. So friends my advise is if you have such disease or know anyone who suffers from it or any other disease like HPV, HBV, HIV, ALS, HBP, CANCER etc. you can contact DR. IYOHA for help via email :driyohasolutiontemple@yahoo.com or call +1(407) 337-9869, Thanks once again DR. IYOHA for making me a happy man again. my facebook name :powell.gary65

john danilla said...

I am John Danilla from UK( northern ireland), i want to share a
testimony on how a powerful spell caster cured my HIV disease, i was
diagnosed of this disease, in the year 2009, last week i saw a testimony on
Dr.Akioya on how he cured an HIV patient, so i contacted him through phone
call and he asked me to email him, which idid, so he told me that all my
problems is over and then he decided to do an healing spell spell for me so
after he finished it, he told me to wait for just 24 hours and then i
should go for a test, so i really did as he had said, so my greatest
surprised when i went to the hospital to go for an HIV test, the Medical
doctor diagnosed that, i am now HIV negetative at first i was amazed and
now i have come to realise that this spell caster Dr. Akioya is a very
powerful one and a real spell caster. So viewers of this should please join
me in my celebration for i am the happiest man on earth today and if you
want to contact him, you can do this via his email
(drakioya17spellhome@gmail.com or call him or whatsapp him
+2348105257464.

gorege vanisa said...

Am vanisa gorege by name, i was diagnosed with Herpes for 7 years i lived in pain with the knowledge that i wasn’t going to ever be well again i contacted so many herbal doctors on this issue and wasted a large sum of money but my condition never got better i was determined to get my life back so one day i saw mr josha post on how Dr abaka saved him from the VIRUS with his herbal medicine i contacted Dr abaka on his email address drabakaspelltemple@gmail.com we spoke on the issue i told him all that i went through and he told me not to worry that everything will be fine again so he prepared the medicine and send it to me through courier service and told me how to use it,after 14 days of usage I went to see the doctor for test ,then the result was negative,am the happiest man on earth now. this testimony is real.thanks to Dr abaka God bless you. you can also reach him on his number +2349063230051.

Pradhan mantri yojana said...

This post is excellent.Thanks for sharing.
লাভা মোবাইল
কম্পিউটার কি

Ujan sharma said...

I have to search sites with relevant information on given topic and provide them to teacher our opinion and the article.

Universal Health Insurance Scheme

Ujan sharma said...

Actually I read it yesterday but I had some thoughts about it and today I wanted to read it again because it is very well written.

cancer insurance policy india

William Annie said...

I know there are still a lot of people suffering from different health issues and are therefore looking for solution. I bring you Good news. There is a man called Dr Azuka a herbal practitioner who helped cure me from Genital herpes and shingles, this i had suffered from for the past 2 years and i have spent so much money trying to survive from it. I got my healing by taking the herbal medicine he sent to me to drink for about 14 days . 14 days after completion of the dosage, I went for a medical checkup and I was tested Genital Herpes NEGATIVE. I’m sharing this so that other people can know of this great healer called Dr Azuka because I got to know him through a friend he cured from too. I was made to understand that he can cure several other deadly diseases and infections. Don’t die in ignorance and don’t let that illness take your life. Contact Dr Azuka through his email (dr.azukasolutionhome@gmail.com) or whats app +44 7520 636249

Rahul Sharma said...


if any patient need Brain Hemorrhage Treatment In Gurgaon contact this number +91-9215151260/ 8586844718