Friday, November 18, 2011

Need a Braincation?


If you are a brain tumor survivor like me, or even if you aren’t, have you thought of taking a 
braincation”?

I had no idea what a “braincation” was when I first heard of it, but as a brain tumor survivor it sounded like something I could use.

According to an article in this month’s Outside magazine, “being in nature” has significant mental health benefits.  Specifically…
-Increased attention span
-Better memory
-Reduced stress levels
-Improved mood
-Greater creativity

Is this the result of new age “touchy-feely” vibes floating across psychic waves?  Not really, according to some neuroscience studies referred to in this article.  See http://www.outsideonline.com/outdoor-adventure/nature/You-Need-A-Braincation.html for more info.

For the real touchy-feely stuff, if you’re feeling west-coast-ish, read the companion article entitled The Touchy-Feely (But totally Scientific!) Methods of Wallace J. Nichols (also in the same November edition) http://www.outsideonline.com/outdoor-adventure/nature/The-Touchy-Feely-But-Totally-Scientific-Methods-Of-Wallace-J-Nichols.html?page=3

So, the next time somebody tells me to “Go take a hike!”, I may just do so and call it my rehab for the day.

No comments: