Wednesday, November 14, 2012

“The Life of Pi”…or is it “The Life of Living with a Brain Tumor?”

The original book, the Life of Pi, was published in 2011. Wikipedia describes it as “…a fantasy adventure novel by Yann Martel published in 2001. The protagonist, Piscine Molitor "Pi" Patel, an Indian boy from Pondicherry, explores issues of spirituality and practicality from an early age. He survives 227 days after a shipwreck while stranded on a boat in the Pacific Ocean with a Bengal tiger.”

That would scare the snot out of me. But, of course, I’ve already had all the snot scared out of me by my brain tumor.

So if you haven’t read it or, if you are like me, read it years ago, I invite you to reread it with a (possibly) new viewpoint. My new viewpoint is to view the tiger as my brain tumor…a dangerous animal from which I cannot escape.

I think almost every library has it, but if you need/want to buy the book, here’s a link to Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Life-Pi-Yann-Martel/dp/0156027321/ref=tmm_pap_title_0?ie=UTF8&qid=1352476892&sr=8-1

And here’s a link to a trailer for the upcoming film based on the book and directed by Ang Lee: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0454876/

1 comment:

Renton Auto Body said...

I chose this five star rating because the reader is carried along in order to learn how Pi manages to outwit the tiger, using his knowledge of wild animals. Being raised the son of a zoo keeper, he learned practical information as well as a hard work ethic. He never seriously thought of giving up. Much of the story is gruesome, but easily accepted as realistic, not just for the purpose of startling the reader.