Monday, March 31, 2014

Why I'm not afraid of dying: CNN Story about David Menasche’s Brain Tumor

I love this guy. I just watched the CNN story about David, his  brain tumor and his decision to spend whatever time he has remaining to “travel around the country to reconnect with former students.”

Here’s what you need to know about David:

“My classroom was my sanctuary, so on the day before Thanksgiving in 2006 when I was diagnosed with an incurable form of brain cancer at 34 and told I had less than a year to live, I did what I always did. I went to school. I needed my students to know that I trusted them enough to share life's most sacrosanct passage. Death.

They, in turn, helped me to live in the moment and spend whatever time I had left living well. For six years, the only time I wasn't in class was when I was undergoing brain surgery. I never avoided the topic of my cancer, glioblastoma multiforme, with my students, but it was not something I dwelled on, nor did they.

I covered my bald, lacerated head with a woolen hat and scheduled chemotherapy around my classes, and I got so good at being sick that I could run to the bathroom, heave into the toilet, flush, brush my teeth and fly back to class in under three minutes. They pretended not to notice. During that time, I even won "Teacher of the Year" for my region. I was grateful for every breath and felt as if I could live that way forever.”

Here’s a link to the CNN article & video: http://www.cnn.com/2014/01/08/opinion/menasche-teaching-life/


No comments: