Monday, April 14, 2014

Boss sells restaurant to save employee with brain tumor

Here’s brain tumor story by Tiffany Craig of KHOU 11 News that makes me both depressed and, at the same time, hopeful and grateful.

The storyline starts with Brittany Mathis, a 19-year-old employee at the Kaiserhof Restaurant and Wunderbar on Highway 105 in Montgomery, Texas. She doesn't look or sound sick, but she is -- and everyone at the authentic German restaurant knows it.

According to Craig, It started with a rash on her leg.
"I went to the hospital and found out it was my blood clotting," Mathis told Craig. "So, they wanted to keep me and do CAT scans and MRIs and the next day they came in and told me I had a tumor."

Mathis doesn't have insurance and hasn't yet signed up for Affordable Healthcare. The medical bills are piling up and she can't even afford to find out if the tumor is benign or malignant.

That's where her boss comes in. "I just can't be standing by and doing nothing," said Kaiserhof owner Michael De Beyer. "I have to try something because it's not right."

So De Beyer has decided to sell his family's 6,000 square foot restaurant and donate money to Mathis. Yes, you read that right. He decided to sell his family’s restaurant and donate the money to Mathis.

Oh, and by the way, he previously turned down a $1.3 million offer for the restaurant.

So I’m depressed that Mathis has a brain tumor, am grateful for De Beyer’s generosity and hopeful that doctors can mitigate the damage.

Here’s a link to the online story and video: http://www.khou.com/community/Boss-sells-restaurant-to-save-employee-with-brain-tumor-238996011.html

No comments: