Monday, January 18, 2016

“10 Ways To Love Your Brain”


I’m finding that I often worry about my brain. Did my surgery somehow compromise my IQ/Intellect/ability to think?

Did my operations or radiation treatment accelerate the odds of Alzheimer’s or Dementia or some other quick slide into senility?

Those days when I walk into a room and forget why I walked into the room, I cringe with fear that I am somehow, someway going to quickly end up sitting on a stool in the kitchen corner where I can’t harm myself or anybody else.

It’s with that series of worries that I’m glad that the Alzheimer’s Associations has this great web page of tips on “10 Ways to Love Your Brains.” - https://alz.org/abam/#loveYourBrain

When they say “Love Your Brain”, what they really mean is to: “Show your brain some love! Your brain is the command center of your body — and just like your heart, lungs and other critical organs, it deserves to be a priority when it comes to your health. Use these 10 tips to help reduce your risk of cognitive decline.”

That last sentence - “Use these 10 tips to help reduce your risk of cognitive decline” – is just what I needed to read today (especially since I was convinced that I inexplicably lost my wallet yesterday).

Here’s the 10:

  1. Break a sweat 
  2. Butt out 
  3. Heads up!
  4. Catch some ZZZ's 
  5. Buddy up
  6. Hit the books 
  7. Follow your hear
  8. Fuel up right 
  9. Take care of your mental health
  10. Stump yourself
They are, however, examples of pretty colloquial American English.  So if these you don’t quite understand these headings, you may want to read the descriptions on their web page: https://alz.org/abam/#loveYourBrain

Having written that, let me revise that sentence to say, “Even if you do think you understand those headings, I suggest you give this web page a good read and an even longer “think.”







No comments: