Wednesday, November 2, 2011

How do you tell someone? (Part 3)

I am, not to put too fine a point on it, a bit blunter. So I decided to send out a few emails of my own, like this one:
From: John Kerastas
To: XXXXX
Subject: For Your Eyes Only
I wanted to send you a short note telling you that I have a brain tumor and will be undergoing surgery on Thursday. More importantly, I want to thank you for all your support, direction and guidance over the years.  You are a very special person and I wish you nothing but the best. John”

Well, guess what kind of a reaction that got?
“From: XXXXX
To: John Kerastas
Subject: RE: For Your Eyes Only
Oh, my God, John. What can I do to help? Please let me know......and tell your wife to keep me informed of your condition. I am here to help her and you. Please call on me. You are in my prayers. You helped me when I really, really needed it, and now I need to return the favor as well as I can....You are a strong and healthy character, John, so keep the faith......love you......”             

I remember feeling really good about her reaction.  She cared. My wife, though, made it clear in one of those non-verbal, part telepathic, feminine reactions that perhaps she should be the family spokesperson on my diagnosis and status moving forward.

No comments: