Tuesday, July 9, 2013

“Redefining the support group: my TEDx talk”


Actually, it’s not my talk, it’s Liz’ talk. She has a great TEDx talk and a great blog: http://thelizarmy.com/

She’s named her blog “THELIZARMY” – and after reading it I feel like I’ve met a whole army of Lizzies.

Why? Because she’s so organized and prolific and composed. For starters she organized blog into handy sections entitled: “Advocacy”, Surviving”, “In Treatment”, Newly Diagnosed”, “Resources” and “About Liz”. And each of those sections have posts that are articulate, insightful and interesting. (As you can guess, I'm kinda jealous.)

If you open the “About Liz” page you see a fun picture of Liz in the Color Run*. You’ll also read a wonderfully honest and upbeat “About Me” intro. She starts out writing “Hi My name is Liz and I have brain cancer. This blog acts as my personal journal, communication forum and cancer soap box.

I’m a digital communications person by day. I am the same person by night. In July 2008 I was diagnosed with a grade II astrocytoma brain cancer when I was 29-years old. It sucked. 

But guess what? I’m still here. Still kicking ass. If anything changes I will let you know.”

How can you not like somebody who starts introduces herself like that?


Watch it for the raw emotion and pure honesty.



*If you don’t know what the “Color Run” is, go find a millennial and ask them.If you don't know what a "millennial" is, go to the master, Carol Phillips, and read what she says on her Brand Amplitude website: http://brandamplitude.com/resources/millennials

No comments: