Saturday, April 18, 2015

R.I.P – Daniel Wang, Brain Tumor Victim & Greeting Card Artist

What would you do if you were diagnosed with brain cancer? 

I might crawl into a corner, curl up into a fetal position and moan a lot. I might walk into the nearest bar and order drinks until I couldn’t walk any more. I might go paragliding, because, what’s the worst that could happen?

Daniel Wang didn’t do any of these things. Instead, He used his brain tumor experience to draw greeting cards.

According to a poignant article by Amanda Marrazzo in the Chicago Tribune, Daniel started creating greeting cards with his colorful and cheery pencil drawings, and with the help of his business class instructor, Ryan Bruno he turned his artwork into a small business.

He donated all the proceeds from sales of his greeting cards to the Illinois-based “Make-A-Wish” foundation catering to the needs of children with “life-threatening medical conditions”.  See http://wish.org/about-us/our-story

This is a kid who used his disease, his handicap to help others instead of wallowing in self-pity and anger.

I find this to be pretty inspiring, actions that made me believe that Daniel was more of a man than a struggling teenage.

If I ever have the ravenous and unbeatable brain cancer that Daniel had, I hope I have the grace and vision and power to be as giving as him.


And here’s a link to my original blog posting about his cards and his achievements when he was alive: http://johnstumor.blogspot.com/2014/05/hope-through-cards-young-brain-tumor.html


1 comment:

Unknown said...

Thank you for sharing my story about Daniel. He was such a sweet soul.