Tuesday, March 25, 2014

“Healthy eating in midlife helps protect brain health: study”


I worry about headlines about this. Am I still middle aged? Have I crossed the line into geezer-dom? What If I didn’t eat all my vegetables? Does this include Brussels Sprouts?

No matter whether I’m a geezer or not, a study conducted by the University of Eastern Finland, indicated that “Eating right in midlife may prevent dementia later on.” The study went on to report that: “Results indicated those who consistently consumed healthy foods at the average age of 50 had a nearly 90% lower risk of dementia in a 14-year follow-up study compared to those who did not eat healthfully.

Researchers used a healthy diet index based on eating a variety of foods. ‘Healthy’ foods included vegetables, berries/fruits, fish and unsaturated fats from milk products and spreads.

‘Unhealthy’ foods included sausages, eggs, salty fish, sugary drinks, desserts/candy and saturated fats from milk products and spreads.”

All this leads me to believe that the Fins have the same problem I do with ice cream, i.e. if it’s in the house I eat it.


Image credit: <a href='http://www.123rf.com/photo_9023038_heart-shape-by-various-vegetables-and-fruits.html'>ifong / 123RF Stock Photo</a>

No comments: