Thursday, February 23, 2012

Food for Thought: “What the Ultimate Organ Needs to Stay Healthy”

I’ve just read a nicely comprehensive article of the same name that summarizes the different aspects of brain food and their potential/hoped for impact on brain health.  The article is entitled “Food for Thought: What the Ultimate Organ Needs to Stay Healthy” and I found it on The Doctor will see you now website: http://www.thedoctorwillseeyounow.com/content/nutrition/art3258.html?getPage=1

It’s a nicely readable article that walks you through the pantheon of current thought about what you should be eating to help your brain, including omega-3 fatty acids, the B family of vitamins, vitamin D, and phytochemicals, which are plant-derived compounds that often act as antioxidants.

It also taught me a bit about Curcumin, an indian spice. According to the article, “Indian populations suffer from Alzheimer’s disease much less than Americans. New research has outlined the mechanism by which curcumin actually fights the development of amyloid-beta plaques in the brain.”

Since I love Indian food, the idea of loading up on some curcumin sounds delicious to me. I’m looking for any excuse to go to the Udupi Palace Restaurant on Devon Avenue in Chicago and try their Mysore Masala - http://www.yelp.com/biz/udupi-palace-restaurant-chicago – which a friend just told me was to die for. 

Yes, I’m easily distracted by food.

In terms of the article, give it a read and tell me what you think.

No comments: