Thursday, May 10, 2012

MRS = Mass Resurgence Symptom?


Yesterday I learned that my neurosurgeon wants me to go get a MRS exam.  While online dictionaries may tell you that that acronym stands for Magnetic Resonance Spectroscopy, for me emotionally it is a “Mass Resurgence Symptom.”

I’m in the midst of trying to schedule the exam, and the best way to describe my feelings is with this Amy Marash sketch.


 If you don’t know what a MRS is (I didn’t), according to the US National Library of Medicine, MRS “…complements magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) as a non-invasive means for the characterization of tissue.”

So why would you do one?  As best I can tell it’s because my doctor is worried that something hinky is going on. 

Here’s a link to a good description of a MRS, what it does and why to have one: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16148633





2 comments:

AMY said...

If you have the test, you might want to ask whether you can bring music? When I had my MRI (sounds like a similar machine?), they let me wear headphones and listen to my Mozart CD.. but maybe this doesn't work if they're taking pictures of your head! I took a chill pill for mine, but again, they may want everything firing at its best in there? They didn't care about my brain function, they were looking at my guts. Good luck with your imaging, I hope your results are good. Let us know how you like that clanging.. starship enterprise navigates through hell?
yrs
AMY

Anonymous said...

What's up, I log on to your blogs regularly. Your humoristic style is awesome, keep it up!
Also see my web site - Posted by My Industrial Injury Claims.com