Monday, July 27, 2015

Precision Medicine Conference (Highlights)


I just read the “Precision Medicine Conference” highlights posted on the National Brain Tumor Society website: http://blog.braintumor.org/precision-medicine-conference-highlights/  and found myself hopeful, if confused.

I’m hopeful because the highlights sound surprisingly upbeat, positive and, well, optimistic. Why? Because (as best I can tell) we are starting to really leverage our understanding of the human genome as it relates to more effectively treating brain tumors.

Dr. Jennifer Helfer, PhD, explains this much more clearly in her conference recap by stating that  “Precision medicine, also referred to as personalized or individualized medicine, is defined on Wikipedia as ‘a medical model that proposes the customization of healthcare—with medical decisions, practices, and/or products being tailored to the individual patient.’"

Part of this introductory statement is still confusing to me – why is the idea of “medical decisions, practices and/or products being tailored to the individual patient” a radical/newsworthy idea? Haven’t we always been doing that? If not, why not?

As best I can tell, some of this stems from the importance of an individual  victim's genetics in addition to the tumor's classification, e.g. glioblastoma. Being able to research this linkage, according to Dr. Jeffrey Flier, Dean of the Harvard Medical School, is being led - somewhat strangely - by patients  who are “collecting and sharing their own medical information via sites like 23andMe" - https://www.23andme.com/

This information appears to give medical professionals better direction on how to treat patients’ individual and unique brain tumors. The challenge, it appears, is that more doctors need to become more familiar with this information in order to administer and interpret this genetic information.

If you do nothing else, watch this video entitled “Discovering the PD-1 Checkpoint: Winners of the 2014 William B. Coley Award for Tumor Immunology” - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B532URzuJOU



1 comment:

ashley said...

IT IS REAL!!! HOW I COMPLETELY GOT RID OF 4 YEARS GENITAL HERPES WITHIN 7 DAYS... GOD IS AWESOME,I AM A LIVING TESTIMONY!!!!....

I have been dating for almost 7 years until i contracted GENITAL HERPES VIRUS from my Ex-boyfriend. Ever since then i have been searching for cure everywhere because i was feeling so uncomfortable having so many outbreaks, Most people have herpes in one form or another, i was first taking Antiviral medicines such as acyclovir (Zovirax), famciclovir (Famvir), and valacyclovir (Valtrex), which are recommended for treating primary genital herpes outbreaks..But i needed to get rid of it completely, I came across so many testimonies online speaking about cure to herpes. i was so eager to be completely cured, I became a victim of fraud after contacting several so-called herbal doctors i was referred to. I lost a lot of money but i didn't stop searching for a cure.
Then one faithful day,i came across a testimony of a lady saying that she got her Genital herpes cured by a GREAT HERBAL DOCTOR she called Dr. Aramide by contacting him through his email address. And she advised anyone with GENITAL HERPES or SIMPLEX HERPES to contact him for HERBAL CURE. I contemplated for about 4 hours whether or not to contact him. Then something inside of me told me to give a try. I then contacted him through his email and told my problems to him. He told me all the things I needed to do and also gave me instructions to follow, Which i did properly. Just within the 7 days of drinking and applying the herbal medication he sent to me through DHL delivery service, I started feeling changes in my body i went to my medical doctor for check-up, I was so happy when he told me i was no more having GENITAL HERPES VIRUS and that i was free, It was all tears of Joy from that moment, I never thought ROOTS & HERBS could cure HERPES and if i could ever meet a GENUINELY GREAT HERBAL DOCTOR. I'm so grateful to him. i am completely free from GENITAL HERPES VIRUS,i recommended him to a family friend having Simplex Herpes virus, He called me and told me he is also cured completely. I promised to share my own testimony like that of the lady on the internet. If you are also having
*GENITAL & SIMPLEX HERPES... or need cure to diseases/viruses like..
*PREDIABETES/DIABETES/DIABETES MELLITUS...
*MENINGITIS...
*MERS-CoV...
*HIV...
*LEISHMANIASIS...
*LOW SPERM COUNT...
*SHIGELLA INFECTION...
*SYPHILLIS
*CANCER...
*LOWER RESPIRATORY INFECTION...
*STAPHYLOCOCCUS AUREUS...
*HEPATITIS...
*SHINGLES...
*YELLOW FEVER...
*POLIO...
*LUPUS...
*STROKE...
*FIBROID...
*EPILEPSY...
*TUBERCULOSIS...
*LEUKAEMIA...
*SICKLE CELL...
*ASTHMA.. Etc..
Without Hesitation Contact him Today for a testimony through his Email _ dr.aramideherbalcure@gmail.com
*GOD IS TRULY FAITHFUL*