Thursday, August 1, 2013

What has having a brain tumor taught you?


I’ve recently read Jay Platt’s Huffington Post article entitled “What Having a Brain Tumor Has Taught Me” http://www.huffingtonpost.com/jay-platt/life-lessons_b_3663587.html

His five lessons learned are:

  1. “Bad things sometime happen to good people.”
  2. “That which does not kill you makes you stronger. Maybe not physically, but certainly mentally, emotionally and spiritually.”
  3. “It could always be worse.”
  4. “Your attitude makes a huge difference.”
  5. “Prepare now.”

I then reread Geraldine’s* blog posting entitled “70 Things I Learned from Having a Brain Tumor.” Her first five (5) are**:

  1. “Trying to diagnose yourself over the internet is a terrible idea.”
  2. “Rather than asking Google all those questions rolling around in your tumor-ridden head, I found it best to write them down and direct them to your doctor.”
  3. “Feel free to run around the house doing your best Arnold Schwarzeneggar impersonation, saying “It is a tumor.” Trust me: it will never get old.”
  4. “Note that the tumor is not the sole reason behind your tendency to enter a room and forget why you went in there in the first place. If that were the case, everyone on the planet would have a brain tumor. My mother would have 17 of them.”
  5. “However, the tumor may be the reason behind your headaches, your hormone fluctuations, and why you think that Sorority Boys was a good film.”
  6. “It’s okay to be scared out of your mind.”

My thoughts? I think that everybody reacts differently. Some folks get religion (literally). Some see this as a “wake-up” call to rethink their values…and then join a nunnery or go on disaster relief trips. Other folks are still in denial about having a “near death” experience in spite of the surgery. Some folks haven’t learned a damn*** thing. And some folks use this as vindication of their vapid lifestyle and shallow insights.

I am, though, interested in your reactions. Send me a note: john@chief-complaint.com.

John

PS – Yes, I’ve gone on a number of disaster relief trips since learning about my tumor. 

*You may know Ms. Geraldine as the ”Everywhereist.”
** I put in her first six (6) “learnings” because the sixth is so true and I wanted to see if you were paying attention and/or could count.
*** I’ve noticed that the really good brain tumor bloggers (e.g. Samantha Kittle) swear a lot more than I do, so this is my attempt to include some vulgarities. Next time I promise to use the words “shit” or, maybe, “scumbag.”

No comments: