Tuesday, December 3, 2013

“15 Things I Wish I’d Known About Grief”

If you’re a brain tumor victim, caregiver or friend, you know about grief. That its debilitating, all consuming, mind-numbing and all too hard to shake off easily.
Blogger Teryn O'Brien wrote this list which resonated nicely with my own feelings and I thought others might find it helpful. Here’s her first five:
  1. You will feel like the world has ended. I promise, it hasn’t. Life will go on, slowly. A new normal will come, slowly.
  2. No matter how bad a day feels, it is only a day.  When you go to sleep crying, you will wake up to a new day.
  3. Grief comes in waves. You might be okay one hour, not okay the next. Okay one day, not okay the next day. Okay one month, not okay the next. Learn to go with the flow of what your heart and mind are feeling.
  4. It’s okay to cry. Do it often. But it’s okay to laugh, too. Don’t feel guilty for feeling positive emotions even when dealing with loss.
  5. Take care of yourself, even if you don’t feel like it. Eat healthily. Work out. Do the things you love. Remember that you are still living
You should know that Teryn describes herself as “…the blogger behind Identity Renewed, which placed #36 out of over 350 blogs nominated in a recent Christian Piatt/Patheos.com vote for top Christian blogs.”

Here’s a link to her “15 Things I Wish I’d Known About Grief”: http://identityrenewed.com/2013/11/21/15-things-i-wish-id-known-about-grief/

John

PS – While I try to keep this blog non-denominational or overtly religious, I felt that almost anybody who is grieving would get something out of this list.

No comments: