Friday, December 13, 2013

Brain Tumor Blogger Starts Every Day Being Grateful

“I am utterly and unequivocally grateful for the cancer that is currently trying it's hardest to end my life.  Seems ironic, but without this cancer I would not be the person I am today.  Being diagnosed led me onto this road, a road that is exceptionally frustrating, difficult, sad, depressing, joyous and miraculous.  It has introduced me to some of the most amazing, inspiring and beautiful people I have ever met in my life.”

That’s a quote from Ryan of http://ryansepicbattle.blogspot.com/

This “grateful for cancer ” business all started from a conversation he was having with a friend (ironically at a café called “Gratitude”) who suggested that he “… wake up every morning and think of 5 things you are grateful for and if you can't think of 5, think of 4 or 3 or 2 or 1...  It could be anything from the bed you sleep in to the love you share with your family of friends.”

At some level this advice seems shallow, insipid and recklessly insensitive. This is a millennial struck down in the prime of his life with a relentless disease that almost always wins in the most depressing manner. Grateful? Are you smokin' dope?* You've got to be kidding!

Yet in his most recent blog posting Ryan says “…what I am most grateful for is Grade IV Astrocytoma aka Glioblastoma Multiforme.” (!)

Crazy, inspiring, focused, fearless - these are all words that come flooding into my crowded head when I read his blog. You should read it too.

John

*Yes, he might actually be smokin' medically-prescribed dope, but that's fodder for another day.


Image credit: <a href='http://www.123rf.com/photo_12704536_thank-you-or-thanks-concept-with-hand-word-and-paper-isolated-on-white-background.html'>ashumskiy / 123RF Stock Photo</a>

No comments: